Sunday, December 26, 2010

Home Stay in Sapporo

I had a fabulous time with my host family while in Sapporo.  They were so very friendly and gracious as they opened their home to me.  Before entering their home, I took my shoes off.  They showed me around their lovely home.  There home was small (which is typical of Japanese homes due to limited space) but very nicely kept.  I noticed the family slept in "western style" beds that were off the floor and they had a dinning room table that was off the floor as well.

I had a lovely home made dinner of sashimi, grilled beaf and tempora as well as other delicious foods.  The company was wonderful as I enjoyed the dinner with my host and her two lovely teenage daughters.  I also ate nato and enjoyed it!
After dinner we went outside and lit fireworks, a typical Japanese summer event.  The night I slept in the tatami room.  My host pulled out my bedding (futon and sheets) from the room's closet and laid it on the tatami floor.  I quite enjoyed my nights sleep.


The next day, I spent the morning with my host, Miyuki as well as John's host and was honored to watch a kendo practice as well as a participating in a tea ceremony.

In the afternoon I enjoyed lunch with my host and then spent time at a local onsen before returning to downtown Sapporo for a fabulous dinner!  It was hard to say goodbye to Miyuki after our time spent together.  I will take the memories of this time with me back to America.  If you're ever in the states my door is open!

No comments:

Post a Comment